Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Ceraland 2007

Alright, I guess I'll start the writing.

I raced Ceraland about 2 weeks ago. My first race, so I arrived too early (but was rewarded with the first IRS #900), but the day was perfect for sitting outside and enjoying not having anything to do but sit outside and think about sitting outside.

Citizen's race was first, with five staunch Nebo riders and a robust field of about 30 others. The race started sedately on the 1.4 mile loop, with just a few rolling hills and a minor headwind on the backstretch to break things up. And the occasional close encounter of the curb kind for an unlucky rider or two. A few pushes here and there, some by our team, but nothing organized enough to stay off the front. The pack came into the last lap intact, with a sprint over the last 90 seconds to sort out placement. A good time, and the Nebo Riders finished in the main group.

An enjoyable first race, all told.

Chris Hancock, Jason Pope, and I decided to hang around and try our hand at the cat 4 race with Anthony and Jim. The race took off a few steps quicker than the citizen's race, and unfortunately Chris H. found himself trapped behind someone who just couldn't keep the pace, and suddenly with a gap he couldn't quite close. Jim went off the front at some point, and while he didn't catch up with leaders (I don't think, anyway - correct me if I'm wrong), he did spend some time with a few chasers, and dispite having to solo a large portion of the race he finished fairly well ahead of the main pack. He wasn't listed in the final results, but he must have been in the top 7 or 8, I would think.

Jason managed a surge off the front of the ever-dwindling group later in the race, but wasn't quite able to seperate himself. With about a half mile to go he had a close encounter of the pedal-spoke kind, bending a spoke (and I think stripping the rim at its insertion). His wheel stayed true enough and he was able to finish with Anthony and myself in the main group. My goal from the gun was to stay with the group, and I'm satisfied that I accomplished that.My legs were spent, but I'm glad I did both races. I'll take all the race experience I can get, and hopefully be able to do more than hang with the group at some point in the near future.

See you all at Eagle Creek traditional on saturday. Hope those of you from the group ride yesterday have managed to dry out.

Chris J.

No comments: